Day 18: Krampus at Chestnut Ridge

Since I ended up coming home early from my road trip, I had a free, unplanned day today. I guess I could have cancelled my vacation day and gone to work, but what are the chances of that actually happening?

After watching Kate's dance class, I headed south for Chestnut Ridge. It was a warm day and the trail was in decent shape (at least, with use of the wet weather bypass). I soon met a rider walking his bike down the trail. Flat tire, slow leak, no tools. Unfortunately, we found that my patch kit glue was dry, so we dry fit a patch and pumped it as best we could. It was more or less holding air--maybe enough for him to ride back to the parking lot.

I continued climbing up to the barn for a breather:



Past the barn, I spotted another rider on an orange Kona Unit a couple of switchbacks behind me. My goal was to keep ahead of him.

I stopped for a few pictures here and there:
 

This reminds that I should frame saver my frame, or it might look like this pipe sometime around 2154.

I pulled into the parking lot just ahead of orange Kona Unit guy. I felt good about that, until I saw that he was on a single speed... and then he told me had ridden from Columbus, and had 38 miles down that day. Oh. To my credit, he had a number plate on his bike from his last race, and was training for the Mohican 100 next month. Good luck orange Kona Unit guy!

The Big K did pretty well for me this trip. No mechanical issues. I enjoyed the handling on the short, bumpy downhills that CR is full of. Perhaps due to the slacker front end or the big tires, I found myself coming into some corners too hot for what is, after all, still a rigid bike. But no crashes or close calls, just some sore body parts at the end. No danger of me racing the Mohican 100.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The For Sale Post

Ways to Build a Surly Cross Check