Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Day 2: Breezer

After one night, my 30 days pledge was already hanging by a thread. I didn't get home until after 9:00 tonight, due to a late video conference (one of the downsides of working for a Japanese multinational company). My first thought was to take a token ride up and down the street, but I decided to take a longer lap around Avery park instead. It turned out to be quite refreshing, which I guess is really the point of this whole "ride every day" pledge: it forces you get out there.

I decided to pull my Breezer out of the garage:



Since we last met this bike, I've changed it from a 69er+ back to a 26er with fat slicks. The bars went from the On One Mary to a too low Salsa Bend 2. The wider bars are better for off road work, the slick tires are better pavement... I still don't know what I'm going to do with this one.

I picked up these pedals this winter on a whim:

I'm transitioning from Time ATACs, which I've used for many years, back over to SPDs. Times are great for engagement while muddy, but I try never to ride in the mud anymore. While they nominally have more float than the SPDs (8* vs. 4*, I think), the SPD's float freely, while the Time pedals have some resistance to any rotational movement. I'm hoping the free float will be better on my knees.

I also hoped these combo pedals would be a nice compromise between a clipless pedal and a flat, but I'm not finding them so. They don't disengage as well as a normal SPD pedals when clipped in, and when I rode them tonight in regular shoes, they didn't feel like they had a noticeably bigger platform than just riding on a regular SPD--my foot mostly rested on the high, clipless part of the pedal, not the surrounding platform.

At least they were cheap.

Riding around a slick shod 26er at night kind of brought back memories of my college days at the University of Washington (go Huskies!), except my handlebar was about 4" too wide!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Bike: my $100* Jones LWB**! (2012 Specialized Expedition)

 * The frame was $100 on ebay. I probably could have found a complete bike locally for not much more if I wanted to be patient, but this cam...