Friday, April 14, 2017

Creepy Houses and Turtles

One sad fact about our new neighborhood is that there aren't any public playgrounds. Possibly, this will put a crimp in my blogging theme. That doesn't mean we don't get out anymore: one night after work this week, the boys and I set out to see an old creepy house that my friend Marc had showed me.

We stopped along the way so the boys could show me their impressive strength:


We cut through a new sub to get to this old road:

Henry, apparently not having caught the gravel riding bug, was wishing he'd brought his mountain bike.

We bushwhacked to the creepy house:

Henry wouldn't go any closer to it, but Sam wanted to peak inside:

Sam asked, "Can we go in?" No.

On the way home, we stopped for a Milky Way break:

and then a pleasant cruise home. We did about eight miles, and Henry did just fine on his new(ish) Trek hybrid. It's possible my eldest may turn into a road biker more than a mountain biker. That's fine, too.

The next night, I had to pick up Kate from an after school play date back in Dublin. Of course, I rode, taking the long way there and rolling through the Metro Park on the way home. We stopped when we spotted this little turtle:

and I began teaching Kate the important life skill of  how to drink from a bike bottle:

The water mostly hit her shirt on the first try, but she improved. We'll get more practice this summer, since we'll have to ride farther to get to any playground.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Bike: my $100* Jones LWB**! (2012 Specialized Expedition)

 * The frame was $100 on ebay. I probably could have found a complete bike locally for not much more if I wanted to be patient, but this cam...