Family Metro Park Ride, Fleet Update

We set off last night to go to a new playground I'd spotted up near Glacier Ridge Elementary. It was a special ride because the whole family was there. Jodi started off pulling Kate:


while I had Sam and Henry, of course, rode solo. Unfortunately, the bike paths stopped before we got to the turn off for the new playground (things I don't notice when I ride solo or drive...) so we cut across and ended up going to the playground at Glacier Ridge Metro Park:


On the ride back, we were taking a small break while waiting for Henry to catch up. Sam and Kate, each on a trail-a-bike, were holding hands. What a great picture, I thought, but before I could get my camera out, Henry split them in the middle!

We stopped to look at a heron that was perched on a beaver dam:

We had a fun time splashing across the many puddles left over from Sunday night's thunderstorm. Henry had a good stripe going:

At least Jodi and I had fenders, which was nice for a puddle like this:


We got home dirty and happy, ready for bath night and milk shakes.

>>>>>>>>>>

I've mentioned that I had my Novara Buzz halfheartedly for sale, just on the local CL. I've blown off a few lowball offers over the last few months, but I got a message on Monday that seemed halfway serious. A few message were exchanged, and we agreed on a price. But, would he actually show and pay? This had some weight to it, because I had changed my Buzz almost completely from the stock build that I had advertised. Was I ready to invest 45 minutes or so of work to turn it back to stock for a possibly flaky CL buyer? I took the chance last night, stripping off my racks, fenders, and just about all the parts except the headset and brake calipers, and throwing back on the stock parts. I met the guy this morning, and the deal was perfect: on time, cash, no last minute lower offers.

With the Buzz gone, for those keeping track at home, that leaves my fleet as:

- Trek 620: fixed gear road bike
- Surly CC, currently another fixed gear road bike
- Surly Krampus, 29+ mountain bike
- Specialized FSR 120, full sus mountain bike
- Breezer 26er frame, TBD, also currently for sale

In the near term, I'll revert the CC to a family truckster... again. Lately, I prefer the Trek for fixie duties, so the CC needs a job, even though I've never been entirely pleased with it in the utility role. But I need something in the short term to pull the kids around with.

While I wait for the Breezer to sale, I'm going to build it back up as a mountain bike, either as a 69er again (but with a different fork, that should give better results), or as a simple 26er. Maybe a single speed. I want something short and nimble to compare against the Krampus. I'm also still kind of fixated on the idea of a 26er utility bike, so after mountain biking duties, the Breezer may head this way (again), while I think about what frame is best to use for this role. Unusually, my bike fund has only been growing lately, so it's about time for some new metal!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The For Sale Post

Ways to Build a Surly Cross Check