Saturday, June 22, 2024

Zizzo Liberte for a Tall Guy

I mentioned in my previous post that I recently hopped down to Cincinnati to pick up a nearly new Zizzo Liberte folding bike. I already have a folding bike, my Bike Friday Crusoe, but I was wondering if a different folder would put me in a sweeter spot on the folding bike continuum

I didn't even test ride the Zizzo when I bought it, but a quick spin down the street told me it was much too short for me. Zizzo claims this bike is good up to someone 6'3" tall, my height, but I think they base this on the seat height--it was almost tall enough. But reach-wise, the bike was much too short. I set the bike aside while I ordered up some parts from Aliexpress and waited for them to arrive. The parts arrived this week and I got to work, giving me this:

The most important part was a new stem riser with an extension. I replaced the stock telescoping stem with a 37cm curved stem, and added the stem extension. I also picked up a slightly wider LitePro handlebar, because it was only another $10:


The stock seat post at 600mm was almost enough for my 32" seat height, but just a bit short. I thought the LitePro 650mm would be longer, because math, but the minimum insert mark is much higher on the LP post. I defiantly ignored that--there's still more post in the frame than the stock post at max height.  And I replaced the giant saddle with something reasonable from my bin:

The Zizzo has nice frame, easy to use clamp, clean welds, good clearance:

And the Liberte models have an upgraded two piece crankset and QR wheels. I swapped out the plastic pedals for metal pedals, also from my bin:

The fold is a little smaller and a lot neater than my BF. You can carry it by the saddle, and the magnets hold the whole thing together.

Unfortunately, to get the curved stem to fit, I had to switch from stock left side fold to a right side fold. This increases the overall width significantly:

It's a nice riding bike. It's light--Zizzo claims about 23 pounds--and moves around smartly. It's quite short, with a wheelbase <40". This makes it a bit nervous compared to my Crusoe, which as the 62cm size, has a wheelbase the stretches out to a luxurious 43". That gives the BF a stable feeling the Zizzo lacks.

I like the fold of the Zizzo, but I don't think it'll be a long term keeper for me. I'm still searching for my place on the continuum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zizzo Liberte for a Tall Guy

I mentioned in my previous post that I recently hopped down to Cincinnati to pick up a nearly new Zizzo Liberte folding bike. I already hav...