Sunday, June 26, 2022

The Churn Counter

It's been a while since my last post, so you might imagine that I have had some turnover in my bike fleet.

You would be correct. 

I sold my Marino, but it wasn't the only bike to pass through my garage:

Thinking that the success of conventional wisdom in my full suspension mountain bike would translate over to a hybrid style city bike, in December I impulse purchased this Kona Dew when I found an XL in stock:


It rode well enough and was comfortable, but the fat tires can feel a bit ponderous for my bike paths, and the cheap mechanical disc brakes didn't feel great. It was an interesting experiment, but I sold it off this spring. I just like my mix of odd steel bikes, fixed gears, and small wheeled bikes better.

Some time back I picked up this Windsor Tourist frameset from ebay. Steel, fixed gear, but just a bit overbuilt for what I want. At least, it didn't feel as lively as my old Cross Checks, and didn't have the tire clearance of the CC even after I banged on the chainstays for more room. It finally went back on ebay and is now on its way to California.

Another winter find was this mid 90s Mongoose, free from a garage sale. I played around trying to revive the gooey Quadra fork, but that didn't help the frame that was a size or two too small for me. Too bad, because it was a nice looking frame. It was sold on Craigslist for a tiny profit (even with a starting price of "free", I still had to dump some money in it to get it rolling)

I keep thinking I need to find a small wheeled bike to combine my Bike Friday Crusoe and Xootr Swift. The Crusoe is fast and lively, one of the best road bikes I've ridden, but is limited in tire clearance and a hassle to fold. The Xootr fits bigger tires and folds a bit easier, but isn't as small folded and a bit small overall for me. I thought this Bike Friday NWT fixed gear could combine the two: it has a better fold and more tire clearance than my Crusoe, and is a bit longer than my Xootr. And it was a great blue color. But something just didn't click for me--I think I like my Crusoe and Xootr too much--and I ended up trading it for the Neutrino, below.

Sometime last fall or winter I picked up yet another used Trek frameset, a 1984 Trek 610. Pretty much the same as all of my other old Treks, bit in a bit nicer shape. It's now my main fixed gear bike:

This front mounted saddle bag is a great way to carry stuff, and the Albastache bars are set up just right for me:

Something that always eventually turns me off of these old Treks is the brakes. They're awful in a 650b conversion, and not a lot better with 700c. These Tektro brakes look great and offer great modulation and good power... in the dry. In the wet, I'm glad it's a fixed gear so I can backpedal to slow down.

Tire clearance is another issue for old Treks. These 32mm Gravel Kings are nice tires, and I could maybe go up to a 35mm tire, but I can't fit a fender even at this size. Then again, with the poor braking in the wet, this isn't a bike I should ride in the rain.

Sometime I dream of having Franklin Frames make me a custom frame, with tubing like the Trek, brakes and clearance like the Cross Check, and a longer front and rear center than either. Maybe someday.

I mentioned earlier that I traded the BF NWT for a Velo Orange Neutrino. The Neutrino mini velo is a bike that I've been interested in, but I could never justify actually buying one. But for a trade, it seemed like a fun thing to try:

Good tire clearance, but for some reason, I don't much care for disc brakes, except for mountain bikes. Road bikes are fine with good strong cantis or V brakes.

I love the feel of the Jones bar, but it's an awkward looking beast. Then again, mini velo.

Finally, I can't see much point to the mini velo concept. It doesn't really save much space in my garage. It barely fits in my car with the seats folded down. It rides fine, but so does my Xootr, and it folds.

Maybe part of it is that the VO kind of looks like a normal bike, but strange, while the Xootr or BF are in their own folding bike aesthetic world.

Finally, for my 50th birthday last month, I treated myself to a new mountain bike. This Vitus Rapide was on sale, a chance to try out a modern XC hardtail:

"Modern" because it has a 67 degree head angle, but "XC" because it only has a 100mm travel fork, narrower (2.0") tires, and a lower front end. After adding the dropper from my Marley, it handles my local trails very well, though I can't help but thinking a 120mm fork and 2.3" tires would really add to its capability. I thought this would immediately replace my Marley, but again I'm hoping for something that can combine them: 29er wheels, but some of the more trail capability of the Marley. Another maybe someday bike.

And with me, someday often isn't that far off as my fleet keeps churning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Bike: my $100* Jones LWB**! (2012 Specialized Expedition)

 * The frame was $100 on ebay. I probably could have found a complete bike locally for not much more if I wanted to be patient, but this cam...