Sunday, August 23, 2020

Backpacking (Wild Cat Hollow)

 I've never been much of a backpacker, but I'm getting out quite a bit this year. Three trips! So far!

The third trip was just me and twins--Henry stayed at home with a claimed sore leg. Wildcat Hollow is a loop in SE Ohio with many, non reserved campsites. I like having this flexibility of where to camp.

We walked the 16 mile loop clockwise, passing this old school house (now a vulture's nest) on the first day:



My twins in their twin backpacks:


This REI Tarn model is the only good kid sized pack I can find. It actually cost more than my new pack from Aliexpress, though!

Taking a break on day one:


Sam got tired and started complaining on day 1, while Kate waited until day 2 to crack. But both kids trouped on and did well.

For this trip, I slept in my hammock while the twins shared my two man tent. My plan in case of rain was to hope it wouldn't rain, which worked out fine.

I bought new straps from Warbonnet to replace the lousy stock straps on my Wal Mart hammock. To my mind, these new straps are perfect: simple, light, easy to adjust, and a huge range of length capability:


After dinner, we enjoyed, sort of, this astronaut ice cream bar Henry had got me for Father's day. It looks like an ice cream bar, sort of tastes like an ice cream bar, but had the texture of styrofoam mixed with sand.


As a trail, Wildcat Hollow was OK. There weren't any great views as rewards for the hiking, so the hiking and camping was the reward for us (and the ice cream bar, I guess). There were several nice camps sites spread throughout the trail, so lots of options where to sleep. Some of these sites are quite large, so I'm starting to plan a guys trip here this fall.


2 comments:

  1. Nice! I'm not much of a backpacker either, so it means I'm due for another excursion. And having some good views on a backpacking trip sure does help.
    Best,
    Shawn
    http://urbanadventureleague.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've slowly been upgrading my backpacking gear. An Aliexpress UL pack, cheap but great Kelty tent, a tiny gas stove... it's a lot better than the stuff I used 20 years ago, and not much money if you stay away from the leading edge stuff.

      Delete

New Bike: my $100* Jones LWB**! (2012 Specialized Expedition)

 * The frame was $100 on ebay. I probably could have found a complete bike locally for not much more if I wanted to be patient, but this cam...