Saturday, March 21, 2020

Jones Update

At one point this late winter, my bike fleet was effectively* down to just three bikes: my Bike Friday Crusoe, my Jones LWB, and my Ragley Marley (I say effectively because I'm not counting bikes for sale, or the tandem). The Crusoe fills the role of a road bike for me, and the Marley as the mountain bike, so I decided to turn the Jones into an all rounder. Again. This turned out to be a little prescient, as now with the coronavirus going on, I'm not sure I'll be doing all that much mountain biking in the near future. I've never had a serious crash off road, but it's probably my activity with the greatest potential. Now is not the time I want to visit a hospital.

Anyway, you can probably imagine the minor changes needs to turn the Jones from a capable mountain bike to a capable all around machine: gearing, tires, and a way to carry stuff. This is what I ended up with:




For gearing, I didn't want to spend all my time in the 32x11 combo, so I added a 38t narrow wide ring up front. I'll manually change gears when I need to go to a lower range. I ordered a red ring in an attempt to break up the boring blackness of the Jones, but it's a bit too much with the blue pedals:

I put one of my Wald baskets up front. It's a super easy install with all the braze ons on the Jones, though I ended up using a second stem to mount the top point of the basket. I ordered up a Rivendell shopsack that's a perfect fit.

For rubber, I had a Schwalbe SuperMoto for the rear, but the matching front tire had a broken bead. I'm trying this Maxxiss Grifter. It's comparable in size to the Schwalbe, reasonably priced at $30 or so, and seems to roll well.

I'm happy with how this turned out. The Jones is a fine handling bike, road or trail, and comfortable on either. I was doing a shake down ride through Dublin where I stopped to see what a little free library had in stock. A women walking by said, "that bike looks like it could do anything." That's a pretty succinct summary of the Jones right there.

2 comments:

  1. RE: Jones handling - the LWB remains the fastest pavement-descender I've ever ridden, probably because the contact-patch confidence of the 3" tires; I can lean the bike over like a motorcycle through turns. Currently running LWB-complete-stock Vee Tire 3" knobbies, and I imagine the slicks from you would be a slight step up from there. The slack HA requires a bit more force to lean the bike into the turn, compared to typical road geometry, but it's intuitive enough. Still enjoying the bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear Tim! This is another bike that I sometimes regret selling. I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a SWB right now.

      Delete

New Bike: my $100* Jones LWB**! (2012 Specialized Expedition)

 * The frame was $100 on ebay. I probably could have found a complete bike locally for not much more if I wanted to be patient, but this cam...