New Bike, Rebuilt Bike, Old Playground

We had a gorgeous weekend here, so we made sure to get out and enjoy it. After getting sunburned (in April!) at the kids' morning soccer games, I took my recently acquired Trek 510 out for an afternoon jaunt. I had rebuilt this into my image of a kind of bike path cruiser:

I was hoping to find that this bike planed like a triple seven, but my hour plus spin was a bit inconclusive. When I had purchased the bike, 3/4 of the bearings were quite loose (the front hub seemed OK), and I adjusted or replaced everything. However, there's still a clunk or knocking from the freewheel, which, combined with the noisy drivetrain, made the ride less than satisfying.


I don't really know anything about freewheels (before my time), but I managed to remove it later in the shop. The hub seems fine, so I'm guessing something is up with the freewheel itself. Fun fact: the freewheel removes with a cassette lockring tool. At least while I had the cogs off, I removed the steel dork disc.

Also, those 25mm (actual, labeled as 28mm) whitewall tires need to go. Besides being too skinny for me these days, the white/black combination makes the tire look flat all the time.

I rode north to check out some potential S24O spots that I had noted while driving by our future neighborhood:

I followed a small trail away from the pond and came across a deer stand up in the trees:

Might be OK as a future spot, except during deer season.

My new cockpit is an On One Mary bar with a flipped over thumbshifter:

That was comfy, but the vague shifting in the rear didn't work nearly as well as my modern Hyperglide systems, even in friction mode. I guess my friction shifting skills are at least partially aided by all the tooth profiling and flexible chain of a modern drivetrain.

I don't have a 130mm wheel to fit in this frame currently. Actually, I do have my "fixedhub" wheel, but it's packed up in a POD until we move. I may shelve this bike until I can try it as a fixed gear, post move. If I really like how it rides, I would think about trying a 650b conversion. Again.

Saturday evening, Sam and I had the idea to go for a quick bike ride. We ran into Henry and Kate coming home from a friend's house, and they wanted to ride to a playground. It's almost like old times now to ride to a playground:


Kate is stylish as always in her new bike helmet:

Henry is back to riding Jodi's bike, since he likes it better than his Giant:

And of course this has worked out to me scheming to sell his cheap Giant and build him up a 26+ frame. This might be a nice little project for us this summer if I can find a suitable used frame.

The twins should get another season out of their bikes. Maybe.


Sam found a big mass of ants:

And then to play:


I'm happy enough with Jones as an off road machine that I converted my KM into a city bike:

The dreaded combination of track ends + discs + gears:

It could only be worse if I had fenders on it. Which I would have done, except my big fenders are also packed up in the POD.

There's a lot I like about this build: big tires, comfy riding position, lots of standover clearance, and, of course, hydraulic discs. But something's not quite gelling for me here. I think the tires a bit too big for what I use this for--40-50mm seems to be the sweet spot for me for a utility bike. And I'd like to have more head tube, fewer spacers, and a non suspension corrected front end, but I don't think I'm going to find something like that short of going custom. This works OK for now.

One last stop on the ride home:


We need to get more of these rides in while we still can. Our new neighborhood doesn't have all the playgrounds nearby that we do now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The For Sale Post

Ways to Build a Surly Cross Check