A Weekend Chock Full of Biking (Sette Razzo, ERB)

I should probably spend these days finishing up my Christmas shopping, but it was cold enough that the trails had a decent freeze on them, but not so cold that riding is complete misery. Best to get outside then while I can.

Saturday, I headed to Chestnut Ridge for my second chance at a fat bike demo. Er, except, where's the demo fleet?



It was supposed to start at 9:00, but I got there about 10 minutes early to make sure I was first in line for a bigger frame size. I did a short out and back while waiting, then a short loop. By 9:15 I was cursing the laid back attitude of bike shop employees, when I checked my phone and saw the demo was next weekend. Oh. My apologies to bike shop employees.

Anyway, at least it got me out there on my Razzo. I brought the Razzo so I could do a back to back comparo of my 29+ tire vs. a 4" fatbike. That plan was foiled, leaving me to hump my single speed around the hilly CR course. Whatever fall fitness I had has left with the warmer weather, so it was a painful plod around the singletrack. Pushing was involved.

I like my Sette and all, but I still miss the skinny tubes of a nice steel frame. Or maybe titanium.

This morning (Sunday), I took the ERB out to P2. I had recently installed a 26" Dirt Wizard tire on the front, and I was harboring thoughts of building up a 26er around these tires with a long travel sus fork. This ride, at least, did not turn out well:

I had been running the ERB as a 69er, but I found running the smaller wheel on the front made my head angle much too steep. I like steep bikes and all, but this was unnerving on the trail. When I got back home, I measured the head angle (with my iPhone, so take it with a grain of salt) at about 73 degrees, two degrees steeper than a normal 26er frame. With my short Blackbuck fork, this works out to a trail of only 63mm (59mm mechanical trail with the big tire). Looking back, that's about the same as the 29er Blackbuck with the medium fork that I liked so much a few years back, so perhaps my tastes are moving towards slack front ends. A bit.

I wasn't helped with the fact that the shorter wheel dropped my handlebars low and forward. That position was great back in the NORBA days, but things have progressed since then. I also noticed that the DW isn't nearly as cushy as the 29+ Knard. The Knard is a little wider, and of course the larger diameter adds volume, and maybe tubeless is a factor, but this also pushes me away from the 26+ idea.

Back to Saturday, Henry and I took our scrap pile bike to the Third Hand Bike co-op in downtown Columbus:

It was in a pretty rough part of town, but the people inside the co-op were warm and welcoming, and they were appreciative of our drop off. They mentioned it was in better shape than most of their donated bikes. I had a good time poking around the store for a bit, but failed to find a 650B freewheeled rear wheel... which would be for my Trek 650B conversion project. But that can be another post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The For Sale Post

Ways to Build a Surly Cross Check